Postdoctoral Fellow and Research Associate, August 1992—August 1994, Division of Cellular and Molecular Medicine,
M.S., Genetics, Department of Biology,
B.S., Cell Biology, Department of Biology,
Professor, Fish Genetics and Developmental Biology,
Director, State Key Laboratory of Freshwater Ecology and Biotechnology. November 2001—November 2011.
Dean, Department of Fish Genetics and Breeding, Institute of Hydrobiology,
Research Associate, Division of Cellular and Molecular Medicine,
Visiting Scholar, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology,
1. Developmental Genetics: The scientific objectives are to identify reproduction-, and growth- related genes, and thereby to reveal regulation mechanisms on fish gynogenesis and oogenesis, and to investigate temporal and spatial control of gene expression in fish early embryogenesis.
2. Immunological Genetics: The scientific objective is to identify immune-related genes, especially the innate immunity-related genes, and thereby to identify disease-resistant genes and to reveal immunological mechanisms on disease prevention and cure in fish.
3. Fish Genetic Breeding: This study field is looking forward to molecular markers for discriminating different populations or strains, and is trying to apply them to the studies on ecological genetics and selective breeding in aquaculture animals. In addition, the Laboratory is devoted to cell engineering technology in fish, such as genome manipulation, cell fate tracing, and gene knockdown. The target species include gibel carp (Carassius auratus gibelio), goldfish (Carassius auratus), and grouper (Epinephelus coioides), as well as model fish zebrafish (Danio rerio).
|Awards & Honors：|
The Outstanding Contribution Award of 2012 Year for
The National Innovation Achievement Award in Industry-University-Research Collaboration (2012);
The first award of Science and Technology Advancement in
The First award of Science and Technology Advancement in
The second award of Science and Technology Advancement in
The second award of Natural Sciences in
The first award of Natural Sciences in
The third award of Natural Sciences in
Distinguished Scientist with Outstanding Contribution for “11th Five-year” National Science and Technology Programs (2011);
National Labor Day Working Medal (2009);
Working Model in
Advanced Personal of National Key Labs Program (2004);
Young and Middle-aged Experts with Outstanding Contribution of
Distinguished Young Scholar Award of Qiu-Shi Science and Technology Foundation (1996);
The First Young Scientist Award of
Winner of the National Science Foundation for Distinguished Young Scholars (1994);The second award of National Natural Sciences in
1. Lu M, Li XY, Li Z, Du WX, Zhou L, Wang Y, Zhang XJ, Wang ZW, Gui JF. Regain of sex determination system and sexual reproduction ability in a synthetic octoploid male fish. Sci China Life Sci, 2020, 63: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11427-020-1694-7
2. Chen F, Li XY, Zhou L, Yu P, Wang ZW, Li Z, Zhang XJ, Wang Y, Gui JF. Stable Genome Incorporation of Sperm-derived DNA Fragments in Gynogenetic Clone of Gibel Carp. Mar Biotechnol 2020, 22: 54–66. https://xs.scihub.ltd/https://doi.org/10.1007/s10126-019-09930-w
3. Lu WJ, Gao FX, Wang Y, Zhang QY, Li Z, Zhang XJ, Zhou L, Gui JF. Differential expression of innate and adaptive immune genes in the survivors of three gibel carp gynogenetic clones after herpesvirus challenge. BMC Genomics, 2019, 20: 432. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12864-019-5777-z
4. Li XY, Gui JF. Diverse and variable sex determination mechanisms in vertebrates. Sci China Life Sci, 2018, 61(12): 1503-1514. doi: 10.1007/s11427-018-9415-7.
5. Dan C, Lin Q, Gong C, Yang T, Xiong S, Xoing Y, Huang P, Gui JF, Mei J. A novel PDZ domain-containing gene is essential for male sex differentiation and maintenance in yellow catfish (Pelteobagrus fulvidraco). Science Bulletin, 2018, 63: 1420-1430. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scib.2018.08.012
6. He WX, Wu M, Liu Z, Li Z, Wang Y, Zhou J, Yu P, Zhang XJ, Zhou L, Gui JF. Oocyte-specific maternal Slbp2 is required for replication-dependent histone storage and early nuclear cleavage in zebrafish oogenesis and embryogenesis. RNA, 2018, 24: 1738-1748. doi: 10.1261/rna.067090.118
7. Zhu YJ, Li XY, Zhang J, Li Z, Ding M, Zhang XJ, Zhou L, Gui JF. Distinct sperm nucleus behaviors between genotypic and temperature-dependent sex determination males are associated with replication and expression-related pathways in a gynogenetic fish. BMC Genomics, 2018. 19: 437-1-15. DOI: 10.1186/s12864-018-4823-6
8. Li XY, Liu XL, Zhu YJ, Zhang J, Ding M, Wang MT, Wang ZW, Li Z, Zhang XJ, Zhou L, Gui JF. Origin and transition of sex determination mechanisms in a gynogenetic hexaploid fish. Heredity (Edinb), 2018, 121: 64-74. doi: 10.1038/s41437-017-0049-7
9. Shao GM, Li XY, Wang Y, Wang ZW, Li Z, Zhang XJ, Zhou L, Gui JF. Whole genome incorporation and epigenetic stability in a newly synthetic allopolyploid of gynogenetic gibel carp. Genome Biology and Evolution, 2018, 10(9): 2394-2407. doi: 10.1093/gbe/evy 165
10. Gui J.F., Tang Q., Li Z., Liu J., De Silver S.S., Aquaculture in China: Success Stories and Modern Trends. Oxford: 2018 John Wiley & Sons Ltd. pp1-677. doi: 10.1002/9781119120759
11. Liu XL, Li XY, Jiang FF, Wang ZW, Li Z, Zhang XJ, Zhou L, Gui JF. Numerous mitochondrial DNA haplotypes reveal multiple independent polyploidy origins of hexaploids in Carassius species complex. Ecol Evol, 2017, 7(24): 10604-10615. https://doi.org/10.1002/ece3.3462
12. Lin Q, Mei J, Li Z, Zhang XM, Zhou L, Gui JF. Distinct and cooperative roles of amh and dmrt1 in self-renewal and differentiation of male germ cells in zebrafish. Genetics, 2017, 207(3):1007-1022. https://doi:10.1534/genetics.117.300274
13. Gao FX, Wang Y, Zhang QY, Mou CY, Li Z, Deng YS, Zhou L, Gui JF. Distinct herpesvirus resistances and immune responses of three gynogenetic clones of gibel carp revealed by comprehensive transcriptomes. BMC Genomics, 2017, 18: 561. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12864-017-3945-6
14. Liu XL, Jiang FF, Wang ZW, Li XY, Li Z, Zhang XJ, Chen F, Mao JF, Zhou L, Gui JF. Wider geographic distribution and higher diversity of hexaploids than tetraploids in Carassius species complex reveal recurrent polyploidy effects on adaptive evolution. Scientific Reports, 2017, 7: 5395. DOI:10.1038/s41598-017-05731-0
15. Zhou L, Gui JF. Natural and artificial polyploids in aquaculture. Aquaculture and Fisheries, 2017, 2(3): 103-111. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aaf.2017.04.003
16. Li XY, Liu XL, Ding M, Li Z, Zhou L, Zhang XJ, Gui JF. A novel male-specific SET domain-containing gene setdm identified from extra microchromosomes of gibel carp males. Science Bulletin, 2017, 62(8): 528-536. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scib.2017.04.002
17. Yang YJ, Wang Y, Li Z, Zhou L, Gui JF. Sequential, divergent, and cooperative requirements of foxl2a and foxl2b in ovary development and maintenance of zebrafish. Genetics, 2017, 205(4):1551-1572. doi: 10.1534/genetics.116.199133.
18. Xiong S, Wu J, Jing J, Huang P, Li Z, Mei J, Gui JF. Loss of stat3 function leads to spine malformation and immune disorder in zebrafish. Science Bulletin, 2017, 62(3): 185–196.
19. Feng H, Zhang QM, Zhang YB, Li Z, Zhang J, Xiong YW, Wu M, Gui JF. Zebrafish IRF1, IRF3, and IRF7 differentially regulate IFNΦ1 and IFNΦ3 expression through assembly of homo- or heteroprotein complexes. J Immunol. 2016, 197(5):1893-904. doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.1600159.
20. Li XY, Zhang QY, Zhang J, Zhou L, Li Z, Zhang XJ, Wang D, Gui JF. Extra microchromosomes play male determination role in polyploid gibel carp. Genetics, 2016, 203: 1415-1424. DOI: 10.1534/genetics.115.185843
21. Liu W, Li SZ, Li Z, Wang Y, Li XY, Zhong JX, Zhang XJ, Zhang J, Zhou L, Gui JF. Complete depletion of primordial germ cells in an all-female fish leads to sex-biased gene expression alteration and sterile all-male occurrence. BMC Genomics 2015, 16: 971. doi: 10.1186/s12864-015-2130-z.
22. Pan ZJ, Li XY, Zhou FJ, Qiang XG, Gui JF. Identification of sex-specific markers reveals male heterogametic sex determination in Pseudobagrus ussuriensis. Mar Biotechnol (NY). 2015, 17(4): 441-451.
23. Zhang J., Sun M., Zhou L., Li Z., Liu Z., Li X.Y., Liu X.L., Liu W., Gui JF. Meiosis completion and various sperm responses lead to unisexual and sexual reproduction modes in one clone of polyploid Carassius gibelio. Sci. Rep., 2015, 5:10898. doi: 10.1038/srep10898
24. Chen X, Mei J, Wu J, Jing J, Ma W, Zhang J, Dan C, Wang W, Gui JF. A Comprehensive transcriptome provides candidate genes for sex determination/differentiation and SSR/SNP markers in yellow catfish. Mar Biotechnol (NY). 2015, 17(2): 190-198.
25. Mei J, Gui J F. Genetic basis and biotechnological manipulation of sexual dimorphism and sex determination in fish. Sci China Life Sci, 2015, 58(2): 124-136, doi: 10.1007/s11427-014-4797-9. 中文版：梅洁, 桂建芳. 鱼类性别异形和性别决定的遗传基础及其生物技术操控. 中国科学 生命科学, 2014, 44(12): 1198-1212.
26. Feng H, Zhang Y, Zhang Q, Li Z, Zhang Q, Gui J. Zebrafish IRF1 Regulates IFN Antiviral Response through Binding to IFN？1 and IFN？3 Promoters Downstream of MyD88 Signaling. J Immunol. 194(2015): 1225-1238.
27. Li XY, Zhang XJ, Li Z, Hong W, Liu W, Zhang J, Gui JF. Evolutionary history of two divergent Dmrt1 genes reveals two rounds of polyploidy origins in gibel carp. Mol Phylogenet Evol. 78(2014): 96-104. doi: 10.1016/j.ympev.2014.05.005
28. Zhong JX, Zhou L, Li Z, Wang Y, Gui JF. Zebrafish Noxa promotes mitosis in early embryonic development and regulates apoptosis in subsequent embryogenesis. Cell Death and Differentiation, 21(2014):1013-1024. doi: 10.1038/cdd.2014.22
29. Dan C, Mei J, Wang D, Gui JF. Genetic differentiation and efficient sex-specific marker development of a pair of Y- and X-linked markers in yellow catfish. Int J Biol Sci, 9(10) (2013):1043-1049. doi:10.7150/ijbs.7203. Available from http://www.ijbs.com/v09p1043.htm
30. Yue HM, Li Z, Wu N, Liu Z, Wang Y, Gui JF. Oocyte-specific H2A variant H2af1o is required for cell synchrony before mid-blastula transition in early zebrafish embryos. Biology of Reproduction, 89(4) (2013): 82, 1-13. doi: http://www.biolreprod.org/cgi/content/abstract/biolreprod.113.108043
31. Jiang FF, Wang ZW, Zhou L, Jiang L, Zhang XJ, Apalikova OV, Brykov VA, Gui JF. High male incidence and evolutionary implications of triploid form in northeast Asia Carassius auratus complex. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol., 66(1)(2013): 350-359.
32. Zhang YB, Gui JF. Molecular regulation of interferon antiviral response in fish (review). Developmental and Comparative Immunology, 38(2012): 193-202.
33. Gui JF, Zhu ZY. Molecular basis and genetic improvement of economically important traits in aquaculture animals (review). Chin. Sci. Bull., 57(2012): 1751-1760.中文版：桂建芳, 朱作言。水产动物重要经济性状的分子基础及其遗传改良。科学通报，57(2012):1719-1729.
34. Gao EB, Gui JF, Zhang QY. A novel cyanophage with cyanobacterial non-bleaching protein A gene in the genome. J. Virol., 86 (1)(2012): 236-245.
35. Wang X, Zhang Y, Yang XO, Nurieva RI, Chang SH, Ojeda SS, Kang HS, Schluns KS, Gui J, Jetten AM, Dong C. Transcription of Il17 and Il17f is controlled by conserved noncoding sequence 2. Immunity, 36(2012): 23-31.
36. Sun F, Zhang YB, Liu TK, Shi J, Wang B, Gui JF. Fish MITA activation serves as a mediator for distinct fish IFN gene activation dependent on IRF3 or IRF7. J. Immunol., 187(5)(2011): 2531-2539.
37. Liu TK, Zhang YB, Liu Y, Sun F, Gui JF. Cooperative roles of fish protein kinase containing z-DNA binding domains and double-stranded RNA-dependent protein kinase in interferon-mediated antiviral response. J. Virol., 85(23)(2011): 12769-12780.
38. Wang ZW, Zhu HP, Wang D, Jiang FF, Guo W, Zhou L, Gui JF. A novel nucleo-cytoplasmic hybrid clone formed via androgenesis in polyploid gibel carp. BMC Res Notes, 4(2011): 82: 1-13.
39. Gui JF, Zhou L. Genetic basis and breeding application of clonal diversity and dual reproduction modes in polyploid Carassius auratus gibelio (review). Sci. China Life Sci., 53(4)(2010): 409-415. 中文版：桂建芳, 周莉，多倍体银鲫克隆多样性和双重生殖方式的遗传基础和育种应用。中国科学生命科学，42（2）(2010)：97-103。
40. Zhou L, Gui JF. Molecular mechanisms underlying sex change in hermaphroditic groupers (review). Fish Physiology and Biochemistry, 36(2010): 181-193.
41. Sun F, Zhang YB, Liu TK, Gan L, Yu FF, Liu Y, Gui JF. Characterization of fish IRF3 as an IFN-inducible protein reveals evolving regulation of IFN response in vertebrates. J. Immunol., 185(2010): 7573-7582.
42. Jin JY, Zhou L, Wang Y, Li Z, Zhao JG, Zhang QY, Gui JF. Antibacterial and antiviral roles of a fish β-defensin expressed both in pituitary and testis. PLoS ONE, 5(12)(2010): e12883: 1-14.
43. Yu FF, Zhang YB, Liu TK, Liu Y, Sun F, Jiang J, Gui JF. Fish virus-induced interferon exerts antiviral function through Stat1 pathway. Molecular Immunology, 47(14)(2010): 2330-2341.
44. Wang D, Mao HL, Chen HX, Liu HQ, Gui JF. Isolation of Y- and X-linked SCAR markers in yellow catfish and application in the production of all-male populations. Animal Genetics, 40(6)(2009): 978-981.
45. Peng JX, Xie JL, Zhou L, Hong YH, Gui JF. Evolutionary conservation of Dazl genomic organization and its continuous and dynamic distribution throughout germline development in gynogenetic gibel carp. J. Exp. Zool. Part B, 312B(8)(2009): 855-871.
46. Wu N, Yue HM, Chen B, Gui JF. Histone H2A has a novel variant in fish oocytes. Biology of Reproduction, 81(2009): 275-283.
47. Huang W, Zhou L, Li Z, Gui JF. Expression pattern, cellular localization and promoter activity analysis of ovarian aromatase (Cyp19a1a) in protogynous hermaphrodite red-spotted grouper. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, 307(2009): 224-236.
48. Zhao JG, Zhou L, Jin JY, Zhao Z, Lan J, Zhang YB, Zhang QY, Gui JF. Antimicrobial activity-specific to Gram-negative bacteria and immune modulation-mediated-NF-κB and Sp1 of a medaka β-defensin. Developmental and Comparative Immunology, 33(2009): 624-637.
49. Zhu R, Zhang YB, Zhang QY, Gui JF. Functional domains and the antiviral effect of the dsRNA-dependent protein kinase PKR from Paralichthys olivaceu. Journal of Virology, 82(2008): 6889-6901.
50. Mei J, Zhang QY, Li Z, Lin S, Gui JF. C1q-like inhibits p53-mediated apoptosis and controls normal hematopoiesis during zebrafish embryogenesis. Developmental Biology, 319(2008): 273-284.
51. Zhang YB, Jiang J, Chen YD, Zhu R, Shi Y, Zhang QY, Gui JF. The Innate Immune Response to Grass Carp Haemorrhagic Virus (GCHV) in Cultured Carassius auratus Blastulae (CAB) Cells. Developmental and Comparative Immunology, 31(2007): 232-243.
52. Xia W, Zhou L, Yao B, Li CJ, Gui JF. Differential and spermatogenic cell-specific expression of DMRT1 during sex reversal in protogynous hermaphroditic groupers. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, 263(2007): 156-172.
53. Zhu HP, Ma DM, Gui JF. Triploid origin of the gibel carp as revealed by 5S rDNA localization and chromosome painting. Chromosome Research, 14 (2006): 767-776.
54. Li CJ, Zhou L, Wang Y, Hong YH, Gui JF. Molecular and expression characterization of three gonadotropin subunits commonα, FSHβ and LHβ in groupers. Molecule and Cellular Endocrinology, 233(2005): 33-46.
55. Xu HY, Gui JF, Hong YH. Differential expression of vasa RNA and protein during spermatogenesis and oogenesis in the gibel carp (Carassius auratus gibelio), a bisexually and gynogenetically reproducing vertebrate. Developmental Dynamics, 233(2005): 872-882.
56. Wang Y, Zhou L, Yao B, Li CJ, Gui JF. Differential expression of thyroid-stimulating hormone β subunit in gonads during sex reversal of orange-spotted and red-spotted groupers. Molecule and Cellular Endocrinology, 220(2004): 77-88.
57. Dong CH, Yang ST, Yang ZA, Zhang L, Gui JF. A C-type lectin associated and translocated with cortical granules during oocyte maturation and egg fertilization in fish. Developmental Biology, 265（2）(2004): 341-354.
58. Yang L, Gui JF. Positive selection on multiple antique allelic lineages of transferrin in the polyploid Carassius auratus. Mol. Biol. Evol., 21(7)(2004): 1264-1277.
59. Zhang QY, Xiao F, Xie J, Li ZQ, Gui JF. Complete genome sequence of lymphocystis disease virus (LCDV-C) isolated from China. J. Virol., 78(13)(2004): 6982-6994.
60. Hu CY, Zhang YB, Huang GP, Zhang QY, Gui JF. Molecular cloning and characterisation of a fish PKR-like gene from the cultured CAB cells induced by UV-inactivated virus. Fish and Shellfish Immunology, 17(4)(2004): 353-366.
61. Hong YH, Chen SL, Gui JF, Schartl M. Retention of the developmental pluripotency in medaka embryonic stem cells after gene transfer and long-term drug selection for gene targeting in fish. Transgenic Research, 13(2004): 41-50.
62. Hong YH, Liu TM, Zhao HB, Xu HY, Wang WJ, Liu R, Chen SL, Deng JR, Gui JF. Establishment of a normal medaka fish spermatogonial cell line capable of sperm production in vitro. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 101(21)(2004): 8011-8016.
63. Yi MS, Li YQ, Liu JD, Zhou L, Yu QX, Gui JF. Molecular cytogenetic detection of paternal chromosome fragments in allogynogenetic gibel carp, Carassius auratus gibelio Bloch. Chromosome Research, 11（7）(2003)：665-671.
64. Zhou L, Gui JF. Karyotypic diversity in polyploid gibel carp, Carassius auratus gibelio Bloch. Genetica, 115(2)(2002): 223-232.
65. Zhou L, Wang Y, Gui JF. Genetic evidence for gonochoristic reproduction in gynogenetic silver crucian carp (Carassius auratus gibelio Bloch) as revealed by RAPD assays. J. Mol. Evol. 51(2000): 498-506.
66. Gui JF, Tronchere H, Chandler SD, Fu XD. Purification and characterization of a kinase specific for the serine-and arginine-rich pre-mRNA splicing factors. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 91(1994): 10824-10828.
67. Gui JF, Lane WS, Fu XD. A serine kinase regulates intracellular localization of splicing factors in the cell cycle. Nature, 369(1994): 678-682.
68. Gui JF, Liang SC, Zhu LF, Jiang YG. Discovery of multiple tetraploids in artificially propagated populations of allogynogenetic silver crucian carp and their breeding potentialities. Chinese Science Bulletin, 38(4)(1993): 327-331. 中文版：桂建芳、梁绍昌、朱蓝菲、蒋一王圭，异育银鲫人工繁育群体中复合四倍体的发现及其育种潜力。科学通报，37（7）(1992)：646-648.
69. Gui JF, Jia J, Liang SC, Jiang YG. Meiotic chromosome behaviour in male triploid transparent coloured crucian carp, Carassius auratus L. J.Fish Biol., 41(1992): 317-326.