Research Group of Chemical Ecology
PI: Prof. WU Chenxi, PhD
Members: Hongyi Ao, Mingyan Cai, Xiong Xiong, Hongjuan Hu
The Research Group of Chemical Ecology is one of the earliest teams to be engaged in the environmental science research in China.
Researchers from this group carried out extensive research on fields including eutrophication control in lakes and reservoirs, element background investigation, water environment studies in Antarctica, water pollution investigation and environmental impact assessment, environmental behavior and ecotoxicological effects of pollutants, ecological engineering on municipal and industrial wastewater treatment.
Their focuses include the source, distribution and fate of nutrients, heavy metals, and emerging contaminants in freshwater ecosystem. Through studying the process and mechanism of pollutant transport and transformation in polluted water, they provide the theoretical basis and technical support for water pollution control and ecological restoration. Their works have received several national and ministerial level science and technology progress awards.
Current research interests:
* Environmental behavior and ecological effects of pollutants in freshwater ecosystem
* Methods and technologies of ecological restoration of deteriorated waters
Gas chromatograph, Liquid chromatograph, Ion chromatograph, Total organic carbon analyzer, Atomic fluorescence spectrophotometer, Multi-parameter water quality analyzer, UV-Vis spectrophotometer, PCR, Ultra-pure water system
Recent Publications (*corresponding author)
1. Xiaolong Huang, Yenan Tu, Chaofeng Song, Tiancui Li, Juan Lin, Yonghong Wu, Jiantong Liu, Chenxi Wu*, Interaction between the antimicrobial agent triclosan and the bloom-forming cyanobacteria Microcystis aeruginosa. Aquat. Toxicol. 2016, 172, 103-110.
2. Chaofeng Song, Juan Lin, Xiaolong Huang, Yonghong Wu, Jiantong Liu, Chenxi Wu*, Effect of butyl paraben on the development and microbial composition of periphyton. 2016, Ecotoxicology, 25, 342-349.
3. Chenxi Wu*, Kai Zhang, Xiaolong Huang, Jiantong Liu, Sorption of pharmaceuticals and personal care products to polyethylene debris. Environ. Sci. Pollut. Res. 2016, 23, 8819-8826.
4. Junzhuo Liu, Fengwu Wang, Wei Liu, Cilai Tang, Chenxi Wu, Yonghong Wu*，Nutrient removal by up-scaling a hybrid floating treatment bed (HFTB) using plant and periphyton: From laboratory tank to polluted river. Bioresour. Technol. 2016, 207, 142-149.
5. Xinli Xing, Yuan Zhang, Dan Yang, Jiaquan Zhang, Wei Chen, Chenxi Wu, Hongixa Liu, Shihua Qi*, Spatial-temporal variation s and influencing factors of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in atmospheric bulk deposition along a plainmountain transect in western China. Atoms. Envion. 2016, 139, 131-138.
6. Juanjuan Wan, Xuemei Liu, Chenxi Wu, Yonghong Wu*, Nutrient capture and recycling by periphyton attached to modified agrowaste carriers. Environ. Sci. Pollut. Res. 2016, 23, 8035-8043.
7. Xingliang Meng, Xiaoming Jiang, Xiong Xiong, Chenxi Wu, Zhicai Xie*, Mediated spatio-temporal patterns of macroinvertebrate assemblage associated with key environmental factors in the Qinghai Lake area, China. Limnologica 2016, 56, 14-22.
8. Kai Zhang, Jing Su, Xiong Xiong, Xiang Wu, Chenxi Wu*, Jiantong Liu, Microplastic pollution of lakeshore sediments from remote lakes in Tibet plateau, China. Environ. Pollut. 2016, In press.
1. Xiaolong Huang, Chenxi Wu*, Hongjuan Hu, Yuhe Yu, Jiantong Liu, Sorption and degradation of triclosan in sediments and its effect on microbes. Ecotoxicol. Environ. Saf. 2015, 116, 76-83.
2. Chenxi Wu*, Xiaolong Huang, Juan Lin, Jiantong Liu, Occurrence and fate of selected endocrine-disrupting chemicals in water and sediment from an urban lake. Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 2015. 68, 225-236.
3. Kai Zhang, Wen Gong, Jizhong Lv, Xiong Xiong, Chenxi Wu*, Accumulation of floating microplastics behind the Three Gorges Dam. Environ. Pollut. 2015, 117-123.
4. Liandong Jing, Xingli Liu, Song Bai, Chenxi Wu*, Hongyi Ao, Jiantong Liu*, Effects of sediment dredging on internal phosphorus: A comparative field study focused on iron and phosphorus forms in sediments. Ecol. Eng. 2015, 82, 267-271.
5. Juan Lin, Peihuang Qiu, Xiangjun Yan, Xiong Xiong, Liandong Jing, Chenxi Wu*, Effectiveness and mode of action of calcium nitrate and Phoslock？ in phosphorus control in contaminated sediment, a microcosm study. Water Air Soil Pollut. 2015, 226, 330.
6. Houhu Zhang, Xiaofei Yan, Bangcheng Cai*, Yi Zhang, Jiantong Liu*, Hongyi Ao, The effects of aged refuse and sewage sludge on landfill CH4 oxidation and N2O emissions: Roles of moisture content and temperature. Ecol. Eng. 2015, 74, 345-350.
7. Liandong Jing, Hongyi Ao, Xiaolong Huang, Xiong Xiong, Chenxi Wu, Jiantong Liu*, Water environment characteristics at Taige Canal-Taihu Lake: a comparative study on interaction between chlorophyll α and environmental variables. Pol. J. Environ. Stud. 2015, 24, 1031-1039.
1. Chenxi Wu*, Xiaolong Huang, Jason D. Witter, Alison L. Spongberg, Kexiong Wang, Ding Wang, Jiantong Liu, Occurrence of pharmaceuticals and personal care products and associated environmental risks in the central and lower Yangtze river, China. Ecotoxicol. Environ. Saf. 2014, 106, 19-26.
2. Hongyi Ao, Chenxi Wu*, Xiong Xiong, Liandong Jing, Xiaolong Huang, Kai Zhang, Jiantong Liu*, Water and sediment quality in Qinghai Lake, China: a revisit after half a century. Environ. Monit. Assess. 2014, 186, 2121-2133.
3. Chenxi Wu*, Xiong Xiong, Xiaolong Huang, Xinli Xing, Jiantong Liu, Occurrence and distribution of organochlorine pesticides and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in surface sediments from Qinghai Lake, northeast Qinghai–Tibet plateau, China. J. Great Lakes Res. 2014, 40, 675-683.
4. Xiaolong Huang, Chenxi Wu*, Xiong Xiong, Kai Zhang, Jiantong Liu, Partitioning and degradation of triclosan and formation of methyl-triclosan in water-sediment systems. Water Air Soil Poll. 2014, 225, 1-10.
5. Xiong Xiong, Xiaoting Qi, Jiantong Liu*, Juan Wang, Chenxi Wu, Comparison of modifiers for mercury speciation in water by solid phase extraction and high performance liquid chromatography-atomic fluorescence spectrometry. Anal. Lett. 2014, 47, 2417-2430.
1. Linxi Yuan, Shihua Qi*, Xiaoguo Wu, Chenxi Wu, Xinli Xing, Xiangyi Gong, Spatial and temporal variations of organochlorine pesticides (OCPs) in water and sediments from Honghu Lake, China. J. Geochem. Explor. 132, 181-187.
2. Dan Yang, Shihua Qi*, Jiaquan Zhang, Chenxi Wu, Xinli Xing, Organochlorine pesticides in soil, water and sediment along the Jinjiang River mainstream to Quanzhou Bay, Southeast China. Ecotoxicol. Environ. Saf. 2013, 89, 59-65.
3. Jing Liandong, Wu Chenxi, Liu Jiantong*, Wang Huaguang, Ao Hongyi, The effects of dredging on nitrogen balance in sediment-water microcosms and implications to dredging projects. Ecol. Eng. 2013, 52, 167-174.
1. Chenxi Wu*, Alison L. Spongberg, Jason D. Witter, B.B. Maruthi Sridhar, Transfer of wastewater associated pharmaceuticals and personal care products to crop plants from biosolids treated soil. Ecotoxicol. Environ. Saf. 2012, 85, 104-109.
2. Xi Liu, Hongyi Ao, Xiong Xiong, Jianguang Xiao, Jiangtong Liu*, Arsenic removal from water by iron-modified bamboo charcoal. Water Air Soil Poll. 2012, 233, 1033-1044.
1. Chenxi Wu*, Alison L. Spongberg, Jason D. Witter, The uptake of pharmaceuticals and personal care products by agriculturally relevant plant species. Chem. Oggi. 2011, 29, 54-56.
2. Yonghong Wu, Jiantong Liu, Linzhang Yang*, Hong Chen, Shanqing Zhang, Huijun Zhao, Naiming Zhang, Allelopathic control of cyanobacterial blooms by periphyton biofilms. Environ. Microb. 2011, 13, 604–615.
3. Yan Gong, Hongyi Ao, Bibo Liu, Sheng Wen, Zhi Wang, Dingjing Hu, Xingzhong Zhang, Lirong Song, Jiantong Liu*, Effects of inorganic arsenic on growth and microcystin production of a Microcystis strain isolated from an algal bloom in Dianchi Lake, China. Chinese Sci. Bull. 2011, 56, 2337？2342.
4. Liandong Jing, Jiantong Liu*, Hongyi Ao, Huaguang Wang, Nutrients distribution and water quality of mesotrophic Dongqian Lake: A study focused on phytoplankton, sediment and phosphorus. Fresen. Environ. Bull. 2011, 20, 3014-3024.
5. Xi Liu, Hongyi Ao, Jinguang Xiao, Xiong Xiong, Jiantong Liu*, Evaluation of adsorption characteristics of malachite green onto bamboo shoot shell. Fresen. Environ. Bull. 2011, 20, 3059-3067.
1. Chenxi Wu*, Alison L. Spongberg, Jason D. Witter, Min Fang, April Ames, Kevin P. Czajkowski, Detection of pharmaceuticals and personal care products in agricultural soils receiving biosolids application. Clean soil air water. 2010, 28, 230-237.
2. Chenxi Wu*, Alison L. Spongberg, Jason D. Witter, Min Fang, Kevin P. Czajkowski, April Ames, Dissipation and leaching potential of selected pharmaceutically active compounds in soil amended with biosolids. Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 2010, 59, 343-351.
3. Chenxi Wu*, Alison L. Spongberg, Jason D. Witter, Min Fang, Kevin P. Czajkowski, Uptake of pharmaceutical and personal care products by soybean plants from soils applied with biosolids and irrigated with contaminated water. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2010, 44, 6157-6161.